The first settlers arrived in the area around 1860 and without railroads, they arrived via horse or ox teams.
The first settlement in Silver Lake Township was made in August of 1868 when George Nicholson made the first settlement on the southeast side of Silver Lake.
In 1869, C.B. Knox settled on the north side of Silver Lake. His original cabin sits today in the city park. This also served as the township's first school until a new school was built in 1873.
The Reverend J.R. Upton held the first church services around 1870 or 1871.
A post office was established in 1872 and took the name of Austin. It was located on the south side of Silver Lake and C.B. Knox was the first postmaster.
During the summer of 1882, the Burlington, Cedar Rapids and Northern Railroad extended its line west from Spirit Lake. The railroad established a town and named it Lake Park. At this time, the post office at Austin was abandoned. Wm. Thompson was the first postmaster for the Lake Park post office.
Also in 1882 William Thompson built the first building in town and opened a grain and lumber business.
Two years later, in 1884, C.E. Arnold opened the town's first hotel. The first elevator was also built in 1884.
The Lake Park United Methodist Church was organized in 1883.
The first physician was Dr. Beebe who began in 1885.
Many businesses opened up in Lake Park between 1885 and 1900. Amongst those are a farm machinery dealer, a restaurant, grocery store, furniture store and several others.
In 1890, A.B. Chrysler started the Lake Park News.
The first bank was organized in 1889 and one year later became the State Bank.
On July 26, 1892, Lake Park officially became a town when it was incorporated and John Buffum became the first mayor.
The First Presbyterian Church was organized in 1892. The original church was built in 1985.
The new building for the United Methodist Church was complete and the first worship service was held on February 26, 1893.