History of Lake Park: 1950-1974

On May 27, 1950, 37 people made the last trip on a passenger train from Lake Park. They rode the last rail ride to Harris that day. This was the first time in 68 years that there had not been passenger rail service in the community.

In 1951, plans were being made to dredge Silver Lake.

January 15, 1953: Boyer's Super Market - Top Grade U.S. Good Steak selling for 69 cents per pound.

On February 26, 1953, ten inches of snow fell in a two-day blizzard. Some say this was the worst storm since '36 while others say it's the worst since the 1917 storm.

The state dredge machine was moved northwest of the island on April 30, 1953 to pump silt out of Silver Lake.

The brand new Concordia Lutheran Church building was dedicated on May 25, 1958.

The spring of 1959 the last class graduated from the Excelsior School.

December 3, 1963, was the date a fire destroyed the Playdium Bowling Alley owned by Elmer Larson.

In February of 1964, it's announced the bowling alley and theater will be rebuilt and open again soon.

In 1964, the Harris school joined Lake Park to become Harris-Lake Park Community School District.

In March of 1966, the Lake Park Post Office moved into its new building. In May of the same year, plans for a nine-hole golf course are proposed.

The next year, 1967, Lake Park celebrates its Diamond Jubilee.

The new water treatment plant was built in 1970.

These photos appeared in the July 22, 1971, issue of the Lake Park News.

In 1972, a new clubhouse for the Silver Lake Country Club was constructed.


Print   Email