MOWING OF PROPERTIES
53.01 PURPOSE. The purpose of this chapter is to designate responsibility to the property owner for the removal of weeds and cutting of grasses within the City limits of the City of Lake Park, Iowa, in order to preserve the appearance of the City and also provide for the safety, health and welfare of the citizens located therein:
53.02 DEFINITION. For use in this chapter, the following terms are defined:
- "Curb," "curb line" or "curbing" means the outer boundaries of a street at the edge of that portion of the street usually traveled by vehicular traffic.
- "Cut" or "mow" means to mechanically maintain the growth of grass, weeds or brush at a uniform height.
- "Owner" means a person owning private property in the City and any person occupying private property in the City.
- "Parking" means that part of a street in the City not covered by a sidewalk and lying between the lot line or property line and the curb line; or on unpaved streets, that part of the street lying between the lot line or property line and that portion of the street usually traveled by vehicular traffic.
53.03 PROVISIONS. Unless specified elsewhere in this chapter, the following provisions shall apply:
- Every owner shall cut, mow and maintain all grass, weeds and brush upon the owner’s property and adjacent to the curb line or outer boundary of any street, which includes the parking area abutting the owner's property to a uniform height.
- Any property within the City whether vacated or non-vacated is required to be mowed any time the vegetation reaches a height of 10 inches.
- Said mowing requirements shall be completed by the first and the fifteenth day of the month in May, June, July, August, September and October of each year.
53.04 PENALTY. Any property which is found to be in violation of the chapter may be mowed by the City or their agent. All associated costs for such mowing will be charged to the property owner. The minimum charge will be for one hour of work at the rate of $100.00 per hour. Additional costs will include a $20.00 surcharge plus any attorney, court or postal fees that may be incurred. Any property owners who fail to mow their properties, thus allowing the same to be mowed by the City or their agents, and who do not provide payment for the mowing required, will be assessed by the City for such costs, which will be collected in the same manner as general property tax.
53.05 METHOD OF SERVICE AND BILLING.
- Annual publication of the ordinance codified in this chapter will serve as notice to property owners.
- If the City finds a property in violation of this chapter, one letter and a copy of this chapter will be sent by regular mail to the property owner. This letter will require immediate and continued compliance.
- Any property owner who violates the provisions of this chapter will be given one notice per summer and the City will be authorized to respond to additional violations without additional written notice being given.
- Any billings for mowing done by the City or their agents are to be sent by regular mail and are payable within 30 days of billing date.
53.06 SEEDING OR SODDING REQUIRED. If grass has not been established or if grass has been killed or removed, the owner shall seed or sod the property with grass within one year.
Chapter 50 - Nuisance Abatement Procedure
Chapter 51 - Junk and Junk Vehicles
Chapter 52 - Property Maintenance
Chapter 53 - Mowing Of Properties
Chapter 55 - Animal Protection and Control
Chapter 56 - Urban Chickens